The Flex Module Impaired Driving Series is an approved Impaired Driving education program sanctioned by the Government of Bermuda in accordance with section 35 (K) of the Road Traffic Act 1947. This program is specifically designed to meet the educational requirements mandated by the courts for DUI (Driving Under the Influence) offenders, allowing them to potentially reduce the period of their disqualification as outlined in section 4 of the Traffic Offences (Penalty) Act 1976 upon successful completion.
Key Program Features:
- Flexible and Participant-Focused: The Flex Module Impaired Driving Series is designed to accommodate the diverse needs of participants. It provides a personalized road map for making sound decisions and emphasizes individual responsibility and commitment to change.
- Alignment with Local Standards: The program aligns with the established local standards for impaired driving education, ensuring that participants receive relevant and region-specific information.
- Interactive Journaling Format: It employs a colorful and engaging Interactive Journaling format, which enhances the learning experience and encourages participants to actively reflect on their behaviors and choices.
- Personal Change Plan: Participants are guided through the development of a personal change plan that can be integrated throughout the course hours, promoting practical application of strategies for behavior change.
- Emphasis on Responsibility: The program places a strong emphasis on personal responsibility and accountability for one’s actions, encouraging participants to take ownership of their choices.
- Beyond Basic Education: It goes beyond basic education by focusing on the application of effective strategies for behavior change, helping participants develop the skills needed to avoid impaired driving in the future.
- The Flex Module Impaired Driving Series spans a 6-week cycle, totaling 12 hours of instruction delivered in 2-hour sessions.
- Sessions are held on Wednesday evenings from 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM.
- The cost of the program is $475, which includes all necessary materials.
- Full payment is required prior to program participation.
- Upon successful completion, participants receive a Certificate of Completion and have the option to apply for a reduction in their disqualification period.
The program primarily targets Impaired Driving offenders and aims to prevent future offenses. Participants will undergo a comprehensive assessment to determine if they may benefit from additional services provided by Focus Counselling Services or one of their referral partners.
Throughout the program, participants will explore various crucial topics, including:
- Why Am I Here? An exploration of arrest experiences and strategies for positive changes in driving behavior.
- Use, Misuse, and Problem Use: Examination of different relationships with substances, including responsible use, misuse, and problem use, while evaluating one’s own substance use behaviors.
- Feelings and Behavior: Understanding how events can lead to self-talk, emotions, and ultimately, behavior.
- Change vs. Consequences: A comprehensive review of the financial, legal, and social consequences of impaired driving, emphasizing the importance of making responsible choices.
The Flex Module Impaired Driving Series serves as a critical educational resource in promoting safer road practices and helping DUI offenders make positive changes in their lives.